Table of Contents
- Definitions used in this Policy
- Data protection principles we follow
- What rights do you have regarding your Personal Data
- What Personal Data we gather about you
- How we use your Personal Data
- Who else has access to your Personal Data
- How we secure your data
- Information about cookies
- Contact information
Personal Data – any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person.
Processing – any operation or set of operations which is performed on Personal Data or on sets of Personal Data.
Data subject – a natural person whose Personal Data is being Processed.
Child – a natural person under 16 years of age.
Data controller – a natural person or organization that determines the purposes and means of the processing of Personal Data.
We/us/AdventureAlan.com (either capitalized or not) – a website owned and operated by Metrix LCC, a company incorporated in Washington DC, United States.
We promise to follow the following data protection principles:
- Processing is lawful, fair, transparent. Our Processing activities have lawful grounds. We always consider your rights before Processing Personal Data. We will provide you information regarding Processing upon request.
- Processing is limited to the purpose. Our Processing activities fit the purpose for which Personal Data was gathered.
- Processing is done with minimal data. We only gather and Process the minimal amount of Personal Data required for any purpose.
- Processing is limited to a time period. We will not store your personal data for longer than needed.
- We will do our best to ensure the accuracy of data.
- We will do our best to ensure the integrity and confidentiality of data.
The Data Subject has the following rights:
- Right to information – meaning you have to right to know whether your Personal Data is being processed; what data is gathered, from where it is obtained and why and by whom it is processed.
- Right to access – meaning you have the right to access the data collected from/about you. This includes your right to request and obtain a copy of your Personal Data gathered. To request this information, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Personal Data Request.”
- Right to rectification – meaning you have the right to request rectification or erasure of your Personal Data that is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Right to erasure – meaning in certain circumstances you can request for your Personal Data to be erased from our records. To request Personal Data Erasure, send an email to email@example.com with the subject line “Personal Data Erasure.”
- Right to restrict processing – meaning where certain conditions apply, you have the right to restrict the Processing of your Personal Data.
- Right to object to processing – meaning in certain cases you have the right to object to Processing of your Personal Data, for example in the case of direct marketing.
- Right to object to automated Processing – meaning you have the right to object to automated Processing, including profiling; and not to be subject to a decision based solely on automated Processing. This right you can exercise whenever there is an outcome of the profiling that produces legal effects concerning or significantly affecting you.
- Right to data portability – you have the right to obtain your Personal Data in a machine-readable format or if it is feasible, as a direct transfer from one Processor to another.
- Right to lodge a complaint – in the event that we refuse your request under the Rights of Access, we will provide you with a reason as to why. If you are not satisfied with the way your request has been handled please contact us.
- Right for the help of a supervisory authority – meaning you have the right for the help of a supervisory authority and the right for other legal remedies such as claiming damages.
- Right to withdraw consent – you have the right withdraw any given consent for Processing of your Personal Data.
The information you have provided us with:
This includes your e-mail address and name – mainly information that is necessary for delivering you a service or to enhance your customer experience with us. We save the information you provide us with in order for you to perform other activities on the website, to send you content and notifications by email, or respond to questions you send us. We also collect information about visitors who write comments. This typically includes the information provided by the commenter such as their name, email address, and the comment itself.
Information automatically collected about you
This includes information that is automatically stored by cookies and other session tools. For example, your device type, or the country you are browsing from. This information is used to improve your customer experience. When you use our services or look at the contents of our website, your activities may be logged.
Information from our partners
We gather information from our trusted processing partners with confirmation that they have legal grounds to share that information with us. This is either information you have provided them directly with or that they have gathered about you on other legal grounds. See the list of our partners here. If you wish to opt-out of their services, visit their privacy policies and follow the instructions provided.
Publicly available information
We might gather information about you that is publicly available.
We do not sell our users’ private Personal Data.
We use your Personal Data in order to:
- provide our service and content to you. This includes, for example, registering your account; recording and posting your comments; providing you with other products and services that you have requested; providing you with promotional items at your request and communicating with you in relation to those products and services; communicating and interacting with you; and notifying you of changes to any services.
- enhance your customer experience;
- fulfill an obligation under law or contract
We use your Personal Data on legitimate grounds and/or with your Consent.
On the grounds of entering into a contract or fulfilling contractual obligations, we Process your Personal Data for the following purposes:
- to identify you;
- to provide you a service or to send/offer you a product
- to communicate by email or ship your items to you
- for payments or invoicing
On the ground of legitimate interest, we Process your Personal Data for the following purposes:
- to send you offers (from us and/or our carefully selected partners);
- to administer and analyze our client base (behavior and history) in order to improve the quality, variety, and availability of content, products, and services offered and provided;
- to conduct surveys concerning client satisfaction or interests
As long as you have not informed us otherwise, we consider offering you products/content/ services that are similar or same to your purchasing history/browsing behavior to be our legitimate interest.
With your consent we Process your Personal Data for the following purposes:
- to send you newsletters and campaign offers (from us and/or our carefully selected partners);
- for other purposes we have asked your consent for;
We Process your Personal Data in order to fulfill obligation rising from the law and/or use your Personal Data for options provided by law. We reserve the right to anonymize Personal Data gathered and to use any such data. We will use data outside the scope of this Policy only when it is anonymized. We save your billing information and other information gathered about you for as long as needed for accounting purposes or other obligations deriving from the law, but not longer than 7 years.
We might process your Personal Data for additional purposes that are not mentioned here but are compatible with the original purpose for which the data was gathered. To do this, we will ensure that:
- the link between purposes, context, and nature of Personal Data is suitable for further Processing;
- the further Processing would not harm your interests and
- there would be the appropriate safeguard for Processing.
We will inform you of any further Processing and purposes.
We only work with Processing partners who are able to ensure an adequate level of protection to your Personal Data. Personal Data about you is in some cases provided to our trusted processing partners in order to either make providing the service to you possible or to enhance your customer experience.
Processing partners that may receive Personal Data:
- Automattic.com: Akismet comment spam filtering
- Google.com (Apps): Website Email hosting
- MailChimp.com: Email newsletters
- SiteGround: Website and database hosting
Processing partners that do not receive Personal Data:
- Google Analytics: Website analytics
- WordPress.com: Website analytics
Connected third parties that do not receive Personal Data:
- Enlistly.com: Affiliate marketing network
- FirstPromoter.com: Affiliate marketing network
- Amazon.com: Affiliate marketing program
- Avantlink.com: Affiliate marketing network
- Shareasale.com: Affiliate marketing network
We disclose your Personal Data to third parties or public officials when we are legally obliged to do so. We might disclose your Personal Data to third parties if you have consented to it or if there are other legal grounds for it.
We do our best to keep your Personal Data safe. We use safe protocols for communication and transferring data (such as HTTPS). We use anonymizing and pseudonymizing where suitable. We monitor our systems for possible vulnerabilities and attacks. We use strong passwords and secure internet connections. We host our website with a managed service provider that has stringent security protocols.
Even though we try our best we can not guarantee the security of information. However, we promise to notify suitable authorities of data breaches. We will also notify you if there is a threat to your rights or interests. We will do everything we reasonably can to prevent security breaches and to assist authorities should any breaches occur.
If you have an account with us, note that you have to keep your username and password secret.
We do not intend to collect or knowingly collect information from children. We do not target children with our services. Children (persons under the age of 14) are not eligible to use the AdventureAlan.com website without the supervision of their parents. If you are under the age of 14 please do not submit any personal information to us. If you are under the age of 14 please only use the AdventureAlan.com website under the supervision of your parents or guardian. If you are under 13, please do not provide us with any information about yourself. If we discover that we have collected any Personally Identifiable Information regarding a child 12 or under, we will delete the information as soon as possible.
A cookie is a tiny text file stored on your computer. Cookies store information that is used to help make sites work. Only we can access the cookies created by our website. You can control your cookies at the browser level. Choosing to disable cookies may hinder your use of certain functions.
- Necessary cookies help make a website usable by enabling basic functions like page navigation and access to secure areas of the website. The website cannot function properly without these cookies.
- Preference cookies enable a website to remember information that changes the way the website behaves or looks, like your preferred language or the region that you are in.
- Statistic cookies help website owners to understand how visitors interact with websites by collecting and reporting information anonymously.
- Marketing cookies are used to track visitors across websites. The intention is to display ads that are relevant and engaging for the individual user and thereby more valuable for publishers and third-party advertisers.
You can remove cookies stored on your computer via your browser settings. Alternatively, you can control some 3rd party cookies by using a privacy enhancement platform such as optout.aboutads.info or youronlinechoices.com. For more information about cookies, visit allaboutcookies.org.
A “Unique ID” tracking cookie is used for the “legitimate purpose” of identifying unique visitors, but otherwise no “personal data” is logged. If you’d like to opt out of tracking by Clicky, visit their global opt-out page.
- To request access to the data collected from/about you by the website, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Personal Data Request.” This will help expedite your request.
- To request Personal Data Erasure, send an email to email@example.com with the subject line “Personal Data Erasure.” This will help expedite your request.
Last modification was made 6/01/18