La Sportiva Ultra Raptor
A Precision, Technical Off-Trail Shoe
Weight: 12.8 ounces (Men’s 9)
Trail Use: Good
Off Trail Use: Excellent
Stack Height Heel/Toe: 29mm / 22mm
Heel-to-Toe Drop: 7mm
Width: Medium to narrow
Fit: Runs 1/2 to 1 size too small (size up)
What We Like: A precise, technical shoe that will last for off-trail travel
Weight: 12.8 ounces (Men’s 9)
Long-Distance Comfort: 3
The La Sportiva Ultra Raptors are our second pick for off-trail shoes. The deeply lugged outsole and reinforced upper shoe create an extremely stable feeling while navigating in technical terrain. And again, La Sportiva’s traction is unrivaled. Hiking or backpacking through large boulder fields or scree slopes can decimate the feet, and these shoes are designed specifically to mitigate this. However, these shoes only fit narrow feet, which is why we’ve listed them as our second pick.
The 7mm drop will suit both athletes who prefer a higher or lower drop. These shoes are on the heavier side, but this is the trade-off for all the added reinforcement which makes off-trail travel so comfortable. We recommend this shoe for hikers, backpackers, and trail runners who have plans to move quickly through unpredictable terrain, as long as you have a narrow foot.
Read our complete guide | Best Hiking Shoes
- Construction of shoe hugs the feet to give ultimate stability and protection
- Excellent traction for confidence off-trail
- Versatile drop that will suit many different feet
- Narrow fit will not work for everyone
- Heavier than other similar models
- Hikers, backpackers, and trail runners who move through varied terrain and want to feel supremely stable
- Athletes who prefer stability over an ultralight shoe 70.
- MEMIex EVA is a full length midsole engineered for moderate cushioning.
- Flex Transfer Shank is located at the midfoot and is a nylon molded piece designed for torsional rigidity.
- FriXion XF is a full length versatile sticky compound designed for technical and rocky terrain.
- Impact Brake System is a lugged system designed to lessen impact by 20% and increase uphill/downhill traction.
- Rock Guard in the forefoot consists of a highly compressed EVA layer that protects feet from rock bruises.
- Air Mesh encompasses the majority of the upper and is breathable to help keep the foot cool.
- Transkinetic Heel Stabilizer is a thermoplastic unit designed to keep the heel snug for an enhanced fit.
- Lacing Harness is a thermoplastic unit extending from the lacing eyelets and to the midsole. It is intended to provide a snug fit.
- Traditional Sockliner for underfoot comfort.
- Strobel Last is full length and is designed for cushioning.
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase after clicking on the these links, a portion of the sale helps support this site at no additional cost to you. I do not receive compensation from the companies whose products are listed. For product reviews: unless otherwise noted, products are purchased with my own funds. I am never under an obligation to write a review about any product. Finally, this post expresses my own independent opinion.