Merrell Moab 2 Ventilator
Weight: 15.7 ounces (Men’s 9)
Trail Use: Very good to excellent
Off Trail Use: Very good
Stack Height Heel/Toe: Unavailable
Heel-to-Toe Drop: 11mm
Fit: True to size
What We Like: A comfortable classic that provides stability and traction
Long-Distance Comfort: 3.5
The Merrell Moab is a timeless go-to true hiking shoe. Because of its out of the box comfort and high durability, it’s our #1 pick for this category. This shoe strikes a balance between featuring stiff support and durability, as true hiking shoes do, while still having a slimmer fit and less obtrusive feeling than many shoes in this category. The Vibram outsole provides excellent traction, and these shoes can comfortably be taken off trail.
The 11mm drop is high when compared to many other trail runners, but is pretty standard for this category. Some people experience their feet sliding out of the heel, because it’s constructed to reduce blistering in that area. However, the foot is incredibly stable in the front. The upper outsole features suede and leather, which gives the shoe extra flexibility but does not dry out quickly. We recommend this shoe for hikers and backpackers whose top priorities are comfort, support, reliability, and a reasonable price.
Read our complete guide | Best Hiking Shoes
- Vibram outsoles provide excellent traction
- Unrivaled out of the box comfort, no break-in period required
- Extremely reasonable price tag when comparing to other models
- Ventilation upgrade from the original Moabs makes them more breathable
- Can be taken on or off trail
- Shoe lacks stability in the heel area
- The suede and leather materials on the upper outsole do not dry quickly
- High drop (11mm) will not feel comfortable for users used to a low drop shoe
- And of course, it’s heavier than a 10 to 11 ounce trail running shoe.
- Long days on the trail where comfort and stability are top priorities
- An introductory shoe; these are a tried and true classic
- A shoe that will last whether taken on or off trail
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase after clicking on the these links, a portion of the sale helps support this site at no additional cost to you. I do not receive compensation from the companies whose products are listed. For product reviews: unless otherwise noted, products are purchased with my own funds. I am never under an obligation to write a review about any product. Finally, this post expresses my own independent opinion.