Excellent for comfort while traveling off-trail
Weight: 10.4 ounces (Men’s 9)
Trail Use: Very Good
Off Trail Use: Excellent
Stack Height Heel/Toe: unavailable
Heel-to-Toe Drop: 8mm
Fit: True to size
What We Like: On’s proprietary energy return tech — CloudTec outsole plate (Speedboard) returns energy like a springboard + Hellion Superfoam midsoles — make for very efficient trail shoe. But without sacrificing, trail feel, traction and comfort. New quick-release lace loosener for forefoot comfort at the end of a long day.
Not all shoes are designed equally. On Running continues to engineer their shoes and incorporate new elements to help us push out of our comfort zones. On’s CloudUltra trail running shoes feature their brand-new Helion Superfoam. This technology, in combination with their CloudTec outsoles, work with the natural movement of your feet. This engineering propels your feet as if on a speedboard, following the natural motion of your stride from one step to the next. These shoes are extremely efficient, and engineered to provide extreme comfort while cruising through a variety of terrains. The Helion Superfoam midsole is what propels your feet in this way. It may feel stiffer at first than a similar cushioned shoe, such as the Hokas.
The cushioning on these shoes are well suited for long backpacking trips, day-hikes, or trail runs. The 8mm drop is closer to a traditional hiking shoe, and will transition nicely from a heavier, “true” hiking shoe like the Merrell Moabs. The slight heel rise is noticeable, but does not create any friction or discomfort. The traction on the CloudTec outsole is excellent, and helps the user stay stable over slick rocks, icy spots, or steep grades. So far, we’ve found the fit to create a firm, sensitive, and low to the ground feeling. We recommend these shoes for anyone looking to push their mileage this coming year, and can’t wait to use them ourselves.
For more on hiking shoe efficiency and how engineering and design impacts performance, read this article here.
Read our complete guide | Best Hiking Shoes
- All-day comfort no matter which terrain you take these shoes on
- Proprietary technology combines speed and comfort, putting your feet on a “springboard”
- Extremely versatile, can be used for long hikes/backpacking trips, or running quickly on tricky trails
- Very lightweight for the amount of support in the shoe
- “Just right fit,” not too narrow or wide, comfortable out of the box
- Fully gusseted tongue stays in place and stops debris from entering the shoe
- Shoe laces can be released / loosened without fully taking the shoes off to relieve swollen feet at the end of a day
- This shoe and technology is brand-new, we do not have an accurate picture of how it will perform
- More expensive than other competitive models
- Firm Helion Superfoam may feel too stiff for some
- Users who are looking for all-day comfort without sacrificing weight
- Traveling on and off trail, these shoes will perform on a variety of surfaces
- Moving quickly and confidently on a variety of surfaces
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase after clicking on the these links, a portion of the sale helps support this site at no additional cost to you. I do not receive compensation from the companies whose products are listed. For product reviews: unless otherwise noted, products are purchased with my own funds. I am never under an obligation to write a review about any product. Finally, this post expresses my own independent opinion.