Salomon X Ultra 3 Low Aero
A Technical Hiking Shoe
Weight: 12.9 ounces (Men’s 9)
Trail Use: Very good
Off Trail Use: Excellent
Stack Height Heel/Toe: unavailable
Heel-to-Toe Drop: 11mm
Fit: True to size
Waterproof: No, but comes in GTX model
What We Like: A lighter true hiking shoe that provides excellent traction and plenty of support
Long-Distance Comfort: 4
The Salomon X Ultra 3 Low Aero hiking shoes are designed to handle tricky terrain with extreme stability. Salomon is known for its excellent traction, and these shoes do not skimp in that department. They’re engineered for traveling up or down steep grades, over slippery rocks. Furthermore, this model has extra support in the midsole to keep your feet stable while moving through precarious places.
Though these shoes are too heavy to be considered trail runners, they are the lightest option in this category. We’re impressed with the amount of stability and support they provide, without an excessive amount of weight. Furthermore, this is the most breathable option of this category. The 11mm drop may be a difficult transition from a low drop shoe, but is standard for this category. Because of its built-in sturdiness, we noted a lack of comfort over longer distances. We recommend this shoe for backpacking and hiking trips through wet and varied terrain, where stability and durability are priorities.
Read our complete guide | Best Hiking Shoes
- Excellent traction, designed for navigating steep grades and slippery surfaces (or both at the same time!)
- Weighs less than many other true hiking shoes
- Breathable, while still offering plenty of support
- Less comfortable over longer distances than similar models
- Cannot be taken on a trail run
- Higher drop (11mm) will not work for athletes used to a low drop shoe
- Stability in unpredictable terrain
- Hikers and backpackers who want a lighter option in a true hiking shoe
- Shorter days on trail, comfort does not last past ~20 miles
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase after clicking on the these links, a portion of the sale helps support this site at no additional cost to you. I do not receive compensation from the companies whose products are listed. For product reviews: unless otherwise noted, products are purchased with my own funds. I am never under an obligation to write a review about any product. Finally, this post expresses my own independent opinion.