Topo Athletic MTN Racer 2 Trail-Running Shoes
A Precision, Technical Off-Trail Shoe with Wide Forefoot & Medium Drop
Weight: 10.0 ounces (Men’s 9)
Trail Use: Very Good
Off Trail Use: Excellent to Very Good
Stack Height Heel/Toe: 30mm / 25mm
Heel-to-Toe Drop: 5mm
Width: Medium to wide
Fit: True to size
What We Like: Lightweight shoe with a decent amount of cushioning for all kinds of adventures
Not sure if you like Hoka or Altra better? This shoe combines popular features of both brands as an excellent third option for lightweight yet aggressive trail shoes. They have a similar fit to Altra shoes with the wider toe box, but with a small 5 mm heel-to-toe drop. For runners or hikers with any foot or Achilles issues, this extra support is a better option than Altra’s zero drop models. On the other hand, for those who are intrigued by Hoka’s excellent traction and comfort but don’t like the more narrow fit, these are an excellent option. The Vibram outsole has extremely aggressive lugs and can be used for nearly any type of terrain.
The shoes do not have a rock plate to save weight. With that and the wider fit considered, they may not be the best option for extremely rocky or technical trails. Their lighter weight and breathable design are very well suited for long days or multi-day trips on mellow to semi-technical trails.
Read our complete guide | Best Hiking Shoes
- Good Price for a technical Shoe
- Excellent traction, Vibram MegaGrip outsole
- Midsole is a high energy return model, designed for speed
- Wider toe box gives more room for feet to splay and is less likely to cause blisters
- Lightweight and breathable
- Wide fit may cause some sloppiness on extremely technical trails
- Complaints of durability issues on the mesh uppers
- Racing or moving as fast as possible on non to semi-technical trails
- Long days on feet
- Those who want a wider fitting shoe with still excellent traction in a lighter package
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase after clicking on the these links, a portion of the sale helps support this site at no additional cost to you. I do not receive compensation from the companies whose products are listed. For product reviews: unless otherwise noted, products are purchased with my own funds. I am never under an obligation to write a review about any product. Finally, this post expresses my own independent opinion.